Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Shepards Pie

I got this recipe from my best friend of 20 years. This was a staple at her house when we were growing up. She included the recipe in a cookbook she gave me for Christmas a few years ago. I had to halve it because it was way too much food for us, even cut in half we still have leftovers. It’s just solid down home cookin’.

I’m willing to bet there are about a billion variations of this dish. It’s one of those types of dishes you can really get creative with. Let me know if you make another version, even if it isn’t especially frugal. I’d love to try it.


Shepard’s Pie


2.5 lbs of potatoes

1 can creamed corn

1 can corn

1 lb hamburger

¼ cup milk

¼ cup butter

salt, to taste

garlic powder, to taste

onion powder, to taste

Peel potatoes, chop and put to boil. Cook hamburger, adding garlic powder and onion powder if desired, drain. When potatoes are soft, drain and add salt, milk, and butter. Mash potatoes.

In a 8 x 12 casserole dish layer hamburger, corn, then mashed potatoes on top. Bake at 350 for 25 mins.



No comments: